In the process of planning for your future training needs the question that is bound to be asked is; “Do we use our internal training staff or hire an outside vendor?”. The best answer for this question is always a definitive, “yes!”. If that answer lacks clarity may I strongly encourage you to use both. Below is an outline to help shape your thinking and know when and where to look internally or externally.
Pros for the use of internal trainers
1. They know the culture
2. They can forge stronger relationship with participants
3. The investment is already made
4. Prompts growth and continuous learning on your training team.
Cons for the use of internal trainers
1. May not hold certifications for specific content
2. Already busy and may not have availability for development of new curriculum.
3. Tend to have expertise that is a mile wide, but not as in depth expertise
Pros for the use of external trainers
1. They are outside the culture
2. May have experience with cutting edge research and training techniques
3. New voices speaking into the organization.
4. Can both reinforce core values and challenge organizational assumptions
Cons for the use of external trainers
2. May not be completely aligned with the vision and values of the organization
3. Tend to have expertise that is a mile deep, but not a full breadth of expertise.
Any business committed to growing the business by growing the talent in the business must invest in the training and development of every team member. It is always wise to balance the use of your internal staff with the use of outside training vendors. Every Human Resource department should have a long-term relationship with a firm that can be responsive and assist in resourcing your organization. Let Awake Consulting & Coaching be your set of outside eyes peeking into the growth needs of your business.